Township History PDF Print E-mail

Mahoning Township, the richest agricultural district of Carbon County is located in the west central area of Carbon County.  The name Mahoning is corrupted from “Mahonanne” which in the tongue of the Delaware Indians meant “a stream flowing near a lick.”

The township encompasses 24.6 square miles.  It is bordered on the east by the Borough of Lehighton and the Lehigh River, the northeast by the Borough of Jim Thorpe, the northwest by the Borough of Summit Hill, the west by the Schuylkill County line and on the south by East Penn Township.   The Mahoning Creek flows east through the Township to the Lehigh River.  There are 43.74 miles in the Township road system and 29.26 miles in the state highway road system for a total of 73.00 miles of road.

 

HISTORIC MILESTONES



YEAR

 

MILESTONE

1786

  The occupations of the early settlers included lumbering and limited farming. The tax rolls totaled 52 taxable inhabitants and 12 single freemen (young unmarried white men).

1800

  Early post offices began at Centre Square, New Mahoning and Pleasant Corner.

1830

  The first school was built at Normal Square, prior to the State School Law of 1834.

1842

  Mahoning was created from part of East Penn Township and previously formed a part of the vast Penn Township that was created in 1768 upon the division of the Towamensing District into Towamensing Township and Penn Township.

1850

  The population of Mahoning Township was 1,253.

1862

  Lehigh Valley Railroad Company began operation at Packerton.

1866

  Lehighton was incorporated as a borough and the township was reduced to its present size.

1872

  Until this time the school district of Mahoning Township included Packerton and Lehighton. Lehighton High School was built and also two grade school buildings.

1900

  The population of Mahoning Township was 2,501.

1903

  The area was served with rural free mail delivery from the Lehighton Post Office.

1914

  Asa Packer School was built.

1948

  Mahoning Drive In Theater opened and is still in operation today.

1950

  The population of Mahoning Township was 2,649.

1955

  Mahoning Township Elementary School was opened.

1959

  Mahoning Township became part of the Lehighton Area School District.

1960

  The population of Mahoning Township was 2,852.

1970

  The population of Mahoning Township was 3,177.

1977

  The Mahoning Township Municipal Park was dedicated on Memorial Day.

1980

  The population of Mahoning Township was 3,853.

1990

  The population of Mahoning Township was 4,198.

1992

  Ground breaking began for an addition to the Mahoning Elementary School.

1996

  Mahoning Valley Cinema opened with eight screens on April 18.
Mahoning Township began a voluntary recycling program.

2000

  The population of Mahoning Township was 3,978.

2002

  Central Carbon Wastewater Treatment Plant opens.